2. SPIRE (Smart Post-Industrial Regenerative Ecosystem)
SPIRE has the ambition of starting a long-term environmental, social and economic redevelopment in Baia Mare, facilitating its transition from Romania’s ex-mining capital to a leader of environmental design and production. It will achieve this through the co-development of new adaptive and productive landscapes, integrated into a circular ecosystem of cascading material and energy value chains.
Project title: SPIRE - Smart Post-Industrial Regenerative Ecosystem
Project start date: 2019
Project end date: 2022
Budget: EUR 2 611 840.4
The project in numbers:
- 7.15 hectares of contaminated land included in a phytoremediation and renaturing process
- 250 youth beneficiaries and 3000 citizens involved
- 3 bio-based start-ups using biomass for innovative applications in the construction industry
- 10 citizen-led eco-initiatives
For more information please visit: https://www.uia-initiative.eu/en/uia-cities/baia-mare
This initiative is funded by the European Regional Development Fund through Urban Innovative Actions.